Dahi Bhalla Recipe
- Black lentil (Urad dal) - 1 cup
- Ginger - 1 inch piece
- Salt - To taste
- Oil - For deep frying
- Milk - About 1 cup
- Plain yogurt (dahi) - 1 & 1/2 cups
- Black salt powder (Kala namak) - 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Crushed black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder - To taste
- Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
- Sweet tamarind chutney - As per liking
- Mint chutney - As per liking
- Soak urad dal in water for at least 4 hours.
- Pour out excess water and grind the urad dal finely, using the same poured out water, as less as possible, for grinding. Add the ginger and salt when grinding.
- Whisk the batter in circular motion with hand, till the batter becomes soft and fluffy. (To test, put a small blob of the batter in a bowl of water. If the batter floats, it is good, if it sinks, whisk some more.)
- With a spoon, add small portions (about an inch and a half big) of the batter in hot oil and fry all the vada in batches.
- Deep fry into a light golden color. As you remove each batch from oil after frying, transfer them directly into a bowl of water and let stay till the next batch of 'vadas' gets fried.
- Gently squeeze out water from each soaking vada by pressing with your hand. Do not press too hard, the round shape of the vadas should stay intact.
- After squeezing out water, spread them in a flat-bottom pan.
- Now add about 1 cup of milk to the pan so that 1/4 th of all the 'vadas' are soaking in the milk.
- Let them soak for about 15 minutes, and then flip them over.
- Cover and refrigerate the pan until it is time to serve.
- Whisk the yogurt nicely to make it uniformly smooth.
- Add crushed black pepper and black salt and mix.
- Keep the yogurt refrigerated till the time of serving.
- At the time of serving, pour all the prepared yogurt on the 'vadas' in pan, and sprinkle some cumin powder and red chili powder.
- In the serving dish, also add some sweet tamarind chutney, and green mint chutney on top of the 'vadas', and serve.