Karale Chutney Recipe
Karale or niger seeds have a special flavor and some nutritional benefits. These seeds can be made into a flavorful chutney called karale chutney. It serves as a good accompaniment with any meal and can be eaten with roti or rice.
- Niger seeds (Karale) - 1 cup
- Raw peanuts - 1/2 cup
- Sesame seeds - 1/2 cup
- Grated dry coconut - 1/4 cup
- Curry leaves - 1 cup
- Dried red chilies - 10-15
- Salt - To taste
- Aasafoetida (Hing) powder - 1 tsp
- Sugar (optional) - 1 tsp
- Roast the niger seeds in a pan, till their popping noise becomes slow or almost stops. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Roast the raw peanuts till they get dark brown spots on them. Transfer to the mixing bowl.
- Roast the sesame seeds till they become brownish and transfer to the mixing bowl.
- Roast the grated coconut till pinkish brown and transfer to the mixing bowl.
- Roast the red chilies for 3-4 minutes till they become crunchy. Transfer to the mixing bowl.
- Roast the curry leaves till they become crunchy. Transfer to the mixing bowl.
- Transfer all the contents of the mixing bowl to a grinder jar.
- Add salt, sugar (optional), and asafoetida powder.
- Grind into an evenly fine chutney.