Snake Gourd Sabzi Recipe
Snake gourd is a very healthy low calorie veggie that is known to be beneficial in treating heart disorders as well as diabetes. This snake gourd sabzi recipe is an easy and tasty way to incorporate this healthy vegetable in your diet. It can be eaten with roti/chapati/'bhakri'. Don't discard the seeds. They can be used to make the delicious snake gourd seeds chutney.
- Snake gourd - 2 & 1/2 cups chopped in small pieces
- Split chick pea lentil (Chana Dal) - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds (rai) - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - A pinch
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Red chili powder - To taste
- Kala/Goda masala - 1 tsp
- Jaggery (gud) - 1 tsp
- Soak the split chick pea lentil in water for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, drain off the water and keep aside.
- Wash the snake gourd and remove the hard ends. Cut into half.
- Cut vertically and gently remove the hard seeds with a spoon. (Keep aside the seeds - these can be used to make the delicious snake gourd seeds chutney :))
- Cut the snake gourd into small cubes of the size of your choice.
- Heat oil in a pan, and add mustard seeds.
- After the mustard seeds crackle, add asafoetida, and turmeric powder.
- Add the split chick pea lentil from step 2.
- Stir fry for a few seconds, and then add the cut snake gourd.
- Turn and add salt, red chili powder, kala masala, and jaggery.
- Add about 1/4 cup water, mix, and cover to cook on low-medium heat till the snake gourd gets softer and cooked. Turn in between once or twice as needed.
- Turn off the heat and serve with roti/chapati/bhakri.