- Serving: makes about 16 pieces
Samosa is a very delicious, tempting and an all-time-favorite recipe. Hot samosas accompanied with the sweet tamarind chutney and the green coriander chutney are an irresistible tea-time snack during the rainy season or during winter. They can be prepared very easily at home. If you have to prepare in advance, you may do so and yet serve them hot and fresh, by completing the frying process in two steps, as explained below. You can also serve samosas as 'Samosa Chaat' by topping it with chana masala, tamarind chutney, coriander chutney, yogurt, and some 'sev'.
- For the cover
- All purpose flour (Maida) - 1 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Carom seeds (ajwain) - 1/4 tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp for the dough and more for deep frying
- For the filling
- Potatoes - 2 & 1/2 cups boiled potato cubes
- Oil - 1 & 1/2 tbsp
- Red chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder (Amchur) - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Garam Masala - 3/4 tsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Ginger paste - 1 tsp
- Green chilies - 1/2 tsp crushed
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup finely chopped
- Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Green Peas (optional) - 1/4 cup
For the cover :
- Add 1 tbsp hot oil to the all purpose flour in a kneading bowl.
- Add about salt, carom seeds, and use water to knead into a firm dough.
- Cover and keep aside for 15 minutes while you prepare the filling.
For the filling :
- Heat 1 & 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add asafoetida, cumin seeds, ginger paste, crushed green chilies, and coriander seeds.
- Stir fry till the coriander seeds become slightly brownish.
- Add 1/4 cup green peas (optional). (If using fresh peas, first cook them in a microwave with little water till they are soft. If using frozen peas, just allow them to thaw for some time before using).
- Now add garam masala, and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add boiled and cubed potatoes and mix.
- Add salt, red chili powder, dry mango powder, and chopped coriander.
- Mix again to prepare the filling.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts.
- Divide the filling into 8 equal parts.
- Take one part of the dough and roll it into a thin circle.
- Cut the circle into half to make two semicircles.
- Now take one half at a time. Hold the two ends of the cut edge and bring them down towards the outer edge of the semicircle, and seal them together by slightly overlapping one another. This will make a cone.
- Hold the cone in your hand, with the open end facing up.
- Fill the cone from the open end with one part of the filling.
- Seal the opening and stretch and flatten it a little to make the samosa stand upright.
- Repeat with the other semicircle and then with the rest of the dough and filling parts.
- Heat oil for frying and deep fry all the samosas on low -medium heat till they are crisp and golden brown in color.
- Drain excess oil and remove them on a paper towel.
- Serve hot samosas with tamarind chutney and coriander chutney or with tomato ketchup.
? very Easy & Tasty yummy recipe. Thank you
Glad you liked it! 🙂