Ginger Barfi Recipe (Alyachi Vadi, Alepak)
Ginger barfi, also called 'Alyachi vadi' or 'Alepak' in Marathi, is a delightful snack to eat during winter. This barfi is more like a candy and is an excellent mix of spicy and sweet tastes. Also, it is very easy and quick to make at home.
- Ginger - About 6-7 inches big piece
- Milk - 3 tbsp
- Sugar - About 3 times the ginger paste (See instructions below)
- Clarified butter (Ghee) - Little for greasing a plate
- Soak the ginger in water for about an hour.
- Remove the peel with a peeler.
- Cut into small 1 inch pieces.
- Add milk and grind into a smooth paste.
- Measure this paste and keep aside.
- Measure sugar so that it is three times the quantity of the paste (from step 5).
- Grease a plate/tray with little ghee and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add the ground ginger-milk paste and also add the measured sugar (from step 6).
- Keep heat on medium and stir continuously till the mixture starts thickening.
- When it becomes thick and starts to come off the bottom of the pan very easily, pour it out to the greased plate/tray.
- Allow to cool and cut into small 1 inch or smaller pieces.
- Sweet and spicy ginger barfi is now ready.