Batatyacha Kees Recipe
Batatyacha kees recipe is an easy recipe made with grated potatoes and is a nice variation to eat during 'fast' or 'vrat'. One of the main ingredients, 'roasted peanut powder' can be prepared much in advance and is always undoubtedly kept handy in any Maharashtrian kitchen. If the peanut powder is ready, this recipe hardly takes any time. Enjoy!
- Grated Potatoes - 2 cups
- Oil / Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tbsp
- Coarsely ground roasted peanut powder* - 1 & 1/4 cup
- Salt - To taste
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Lime / lemon juice - 1 tbsp
- Green chilies - 2 crushed
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves - Small bunch, finely chopped, for garnishing
- Soak the grated potatoes in water for about 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer the potato strands to a colander to remove all the water.
- Heat oil / ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- After the cumin stops sizzling, add the potato strands and mix.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover to cook for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, turn and cover again for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the peanut powder*, salt, green chilies, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Mix well and again let cook for 5 -7 minutes on low heat turning once or twice in between.
- When the potatoes have changed in color and are now more brownish that white, turn off the heat.
- Garnish with coriander and serve.
*Roasted peanut powder - Roast peanuts on low heat till they get some brown/black spots. remove peels after they cool. Blow away the peels and then coarsely grind to get the roasted peanut powder. Store it for months for use at any time.