Mango Barfi Recipe
Mango barfi is a wonderful sweet to make during the mango season. However canned mango pulp can be also used instead of fresh pulp for this delicious barfi, so that you can make it anytime throughout the year. The recipe that I share here is made without any milk or 'khoya'. Enjoy!
- Mango pulp (fresh or canned) - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1 & 1/4 cup
- Saffron - A pinch
- Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
- Powdered sugar - 1 tbsp
- Clarified butter (Ghee) - Little for greasing the rolling board and rolling pin
- Almond slices (optional) - For garnishing
- Mix the mango pulp, sugar, and saffron in a pan.
- Turn on the heat and turn continuously till the entire mixture is thick and it starts coming off the bottom of the pan as you turn it. It took me about 12 minutes on a medium flame for this to happen.
- Now transfer the mixture to a cooler surface, add cardamom powder, and keep turning it up and down with a spoon till it cools and can be touched with hands.
- Add the powdered sugar, and roll the mixture lightly so that all the powdered sugar gets used up and it can be formed into a lump.
- Transfer the lump to a rolling board that's lightly greased with clarified butter or 'ghee'.
- Roll into a square or a rectangle about 1/2" thick.
- Sprinkle some almond slices (optional), and roll again slightly.
- Allow to cool and cut into squares.