Corn Upma Recipe
Corn upma makes a wonderful snack anytime of the day. It is a very simple recipe that can be quickly made within minutes. You can use fresh or frozen corn kernels for this delicious recipe.
- Oil - 2 & 1/2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds (rai) - 1/2 tsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4-1/2 tsp
- Sugar (optional) - To taste
- Salt - To taste
- Lime / lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 4-5
- Crushed green chilies - 3 small or to taste
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves - For garnishing
- Corn kernels (fresh or frozen) - 3 cups
- Remove the corn kernels by scarping fresh corn with a sharp knife. (Instead of scraping the kernels out, you can also grate the corn using a manual grater.) (Omit this step if using frozen kernels.)
- Coarsely grind the corn kernels in a food processor. (Omit this step if grating fresh corn.)
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- After they crackle, add asafoetida, turmeric powder, curry leaves, and green chilies.
- Stir fry just for a few seconds, and add the shredded (/grated) corn.
- Mix well and cook on a low - medium flame, stirring every now and then, till most of the moisture is gone. (It took me about 15 minutes for this.)
- Add salt, sugar (omit the sugar if using sweet corn), and lemon juice. Mix and stir for a few more seconds and then turn off the heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve.