Raw Mango Takku Recipe
Takku is a special kind of pickle made with raw mango or kairi. It is very flavorful and has a mixture of spicy, sweet and sour taste. Prepared in just a few minutes, it is a delicious pickle and accompaniment for roti/chapati. It will stay good for a few weeks when stored in the refrigerator.
- Raw mango (Kairi) - 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds, skinned and split - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - about 1 tsp or to taste
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp or to taste
- Jaggery (gud) - 1 tbsp
- Oil - 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Heat just a few drops of oil in a small pan / wok.
- Add the fenugreek seeds and stir fry till they become reddish brown in color.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- To the cooled fenugreek seeds, add the skinned mustard seeds and grind everything together to a powder.
- Add this powder to the grated raw mango.
- Also add salt (about 1 tsp or by taste; but add enough according to the sourness of the raw mango as this salt will act as a preservative too), red chili powder and jaggery.
- Mix everything nicely so that the jaggery dissolves.
- Heat 1 & 1/2 tsp oil and add mustard seeds.
- After the mustard seeds splutter, turn off the heat and add asafoetida (hing) and turmeric powder.
- Allow this seasoning to cool and then add it to the raw mango mixture.
- Store it in the refrigerator for a few weeks.