Potato Sabzi with fennel seeds
This potato sabzi is an absolutely delicious preparation that is also very easy and quick to make. It uses minimum spices and is perfect for occasions that require food with no onion or garlic. You can enjoy this curry-like recipe with any kind of Indian bread but ideally with 'puri' or 'fulka'.
- Oil - 5 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Fennel seeds (saunf) - 1 & 1/4 tsp
- Tomato - 1 medium size chopped
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Kasoori Methi ( dried fenugreek leaves) - 2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Potatoes - 5 medium size; boiled and peeled
- Gently crumble the potatoes by hand into uneven pieces and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- After the cumin seeds splutter, add asafoetida, kasoori methi, and fennel seeds.
- Mix a little for a few seconds and add the tomato.
- Stir fry till the tomato becomes darker and releases oil.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and coriander powder and mix nicely.
- Add about 1 cup water and then add the potatoes.
- Add more water to reach the level of potatoes and then add salt.
- Mix well and bring to boil.
- Let cook for another 5-10 minutes on low flame so that the sabzi blends nicely.
- Then turn off the heat.
- Serve this hot and delicious potato sabzi with 'puri' or 'fulka'.