Kadbu / Kadboo Recipe
Kadbu is a delicious form of 'gujiya' that is filled with 'puran' or a stuffing made with split chick pea lentil ('chana dal') and jaggery (gud). These are deep fried and can stay good at room temperature for 2-3 days.
- For the cover
- Wheat Flour - 1 cup
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Salt - A pinch
- Roasted poppy seeds - 2-3 tsp
- For the stuffing
- Split chick pea lentil (Chana Dal) - 3/4 cup
- Jaggery (gud) - 1 cup
- Fresh grated coconut - 1/4 cup
- Roasted poppy seeds - 1 & 1/2 tbsp
- Cashew pieces - 2 tbsp
- Raisins - 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
- Nutmeg powder - 1/4 tsp
- Oil / Clarified butter (Ghee) - For deep frying
For the cover :
- Add oil and salt to the wheat flour.
- Slowly add water and knead into a semi hard dough (like a poori dough).
- Cover and keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into small 1/2-1 inch big parts.
- Roll each part between your palms and press to flatten.
For the stuffing :
- Wash the lentil a couple of times in water and drain all the water.
- Add 2 cups of water to it and cook in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles. After three whistles, reduce the heat to low and cook for another five minutes and then turn off the gas.
- Remove the lentil from the pressure cooker once the pressure is released.
- Pour out the water left in it. (You can use it later to make 'Katachi amti')
- Add jaggery and the coconut and mix well.
- Cook the mixture either in a microwave or on gas till it is firm. Keep turning in between. (I cooked in a microwave for about 10 minutes, turning once in between.)
- Once the mixture is firm such that it can be shaped into a ball with your hands, add the poppy seeds, cashew pieces, raising, caradamom powder and nutmeg powder.
- Mix everything and the stuffing is now ready.
Making Kadbu :
- Take one part of the dough and dip it in the poppy seeds so that the seeds get stuck on one side.
- Now roll it to make a circle that is slightly thinner than a 'poori'.
- Place about 1 & 1/2 tbsp of stuffing in the center of that side which does not have poppy seeds. (The side with the poppy seeds should be on the outside)
- Fold the circle into half to cover the stuffing.
- Seal the edges by pressing firmly.
- Trim with a 'gujiya'-cutter or make tiny folds (as shown in the video) to make a nice border along the edge.
- Repeat with all the dough and the stuffing. You can simultaneously start frying them.
- In small batches, deep fry all 'kadbu' on low-medium heat till they are golden brown in color.
P.S. You can also add khoya to the filling of Kadbu. Add 2 tbsp for the measurements given above. Add khoya when adding cashews and raisins to the filling.
Hope you like this recipe of Kadbu. Please remember to post questions or comments. Thank you!