- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Urad Dal Chutney Recipe
Urad Dal Chutney is a sweet and sour chutney that adds a special flavor to any meal. Enjoy this chutney with roti or with any South Indian food like Dosa, Idli or Uttappa.
- Dried tamarind (or tamarind pulp) - Size of a small lemon (or 1 tsp pulp)
- Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Curry leaves - 10-12
- Black lentils (Urad Dal) - 3/4th cup
- Jaggery (gud) - double the amount of tamarind
- Salt - To taste
- Red chili powder - To taste
- Take dried tamarind, the size of a small lemon and soak it in 1/2 cup hot water for about 1/2 hour. You can also use concentrated tamarind pulp. If so, use 1 Tsp of it.
- In a pan heat 2 Tbsp oil and add 10-12 curry leaves. Once the leaves crackle, add 3/4th cup Urad dal and fry till it turns pinkish in color. Turn off the gas.
- Squeeze out all the pulp of the soaked tamarind or use the ready made pulp and add it to the dal.
- Add jaggery, double the amount of tamarind.
- Add salt and red chili powder to taste.
- Grind finely in a grinder adding more water if needed.
- This chutney is sweet-sour in taste and tastes great as an accompaniment with chapati/roti.