- Serving: Makes about 15 pieces
Gud Ki Roti Recipe (Crispy, Sweet Roti Made With Jaggery)
Gud Ki Roti is a traditional recipe of Maharashtra, prepared during the festival of 'Sankrant'. Made with jaggery, it can be enjoyed as a quick snack or a quick meal during the cold winter months.
- For the cover
- Wheat flour (Ata) - 1 & 1/2 cups
- All purpose flour (Maida) - 1/2 cup
- Gram flour (Besan) - 1/2 cup
- Hot oil - 2 tbsp
- Clarified butter (Ghee) - 1/2 tsp
- Rice flour - About 1/4 cup for dusting
- For the filling
- Jaggery (gud) - 1 cup grated
- Poppy seeds - 1/2 tbsp roasted
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
- Roasted split chick peas (Dalia) - 1/4 cup
- Oil - As needed about 2-3 tsp
For the dough :
- Mix wheat flour, all purpose flour, and gram flour (besan).
- Heat 2 tbsp hot oil and add to the flours in step 1.
- Also add ghee (clarified butter) to it.
- Add water to knead into dough, not very soft but not too dry as well (just like puri dough).
For the jaggery filling :
- Add the roasted poppy seeds and cardamom powder to the grated jaggery.
- Grind the dalia to a fine powder and add to the jaggery. (Instead of dalia you can also add 1/2 cup besan roasted in 2 tbsp oil. Roast till you get a golden brown color. Then add to the jaggery. Please refer to images below:).
- Knead the jaggery to make it soft, like the dough.
- You can use little oil to knead, to make it softer.
- Divide the dough into 1" - 1 & 1/2" parts. Roll each part between your palms, flatten, and keep aside.
- Divide the filling into parts that are the same size as the dough parts. Just like the dough, roll them, flatten and keep aside.
- Place one jaggery ball between 2 balls of dough and close the edge leaving little gaps in between.
- Use rice flour to dust both sides and roll into a thin circle (about a mm thick).
- Transfer to a hot griddle.
- Roast both sides on low - medium heat, till a few dark brown spots appear.
- Repeat for all the jaggery and dough balls.
- Spread all the polis to cool, before piling them up for storing.
- Always serve this delicious gud ki roti with some solidified ghee.
I tried these today and they turned out Yummm!
Many thanks for this simple recipe.