Dal Palak Recipe
Dal Palak is a very healthy combination of iron rich nutritious spinach and protein rich split pigeon peas or toor/arhar dal. Try this delightfully nutritious recipe with rice or roti.
- Split pigeon peas (Toor dal / Arhar dal) - 1 cup
- Spinach leaves - 1 cup
- Garlic cloves - 4 big (1 tbsp)
- Oil - 4 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - a pinch
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 4-5
- Dried red chilies - 2
- Tomato - 1
- Salt - To taste
- Cook 1 cup toor dal in 2 cups water in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles. After 3 whistles, reduce the gas to low for 5 minutes before turning off. Remove the dal from the cooker once the pressure releases and whisk with a whisker to make it smooth.
- Thoroughly wash and chop 1 cup Spinach leaves.
- Chop 4 garlic cloves into small cubes.
- In a pot, add 4 tsp oil. To it add 1 tsp mustard seeds. Once they crackle, add 1 tsp cumin seeds, a pinch of asafoetida (hing), 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 4-5 curry leaves, and 2 dried red chilies each cut into two. Add the chopped spinach leaves and stir fry for a minute on a medium flame.
- Add the cooked dal and water as needed.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add 1 tomato finely cut into pieces.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander and serve hot with roti/chapati or rice.