- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Green Chili Pickle Recipe
Green chili pickle is a mouth watering pickle to pep up any meal. This pickle stays good for more than a year. Refrigeration is recommended for hot and humid weather conditions.
- Oil - 1/4th tsp + a little more to spray the chili pieces
- Lime / lemon juice - 1/4 cup
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek (methi) seeds - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/5th of the chili pieces (about 1/2 a cup)
- Mustard seeds, skinned and split - 2 tbsp
- Green chilies - 1 & 1/2 cups cut into pieces
- Thoroughly wash all the green chilies and dry them with a paper towel.
- Cut all the chilies into 1 cm long pieces and spray them with little oil, just enough to cover the surface of all the pieces.
- In a small pan, heat 1/4 tsp oil and stir fry 1 tsp fenugreek seeds till they turn light brown and grind them.
- Mix the fenugreek seeds powder with 1 & 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 & 1/2 tsp hing (asafoetida) powder, 2 tbsp peeled and split mustard seeds, with little water and grind into a fine paste. Add more water (about 1/2 cup in all) little by little, when grinding.
- Divide them into 5 equal parts and add salt approximately equal to one of the parts. It comes to about 1/2 a cup.
- Add the mustard seeds paste prepared above and add 1/4 cup lemon juice. Mix well.
- Store in a jar, and let it stay for 5-6 days before using, so that the chili pieces get nicely soaked and marinated in all the spices.
- Enjoy as an accompaniment to any meal.