Tadka Dal Recipe
Pigeon peas (toor /arhar dal) serve to provide the essential proteins in any vegetarian meal. It can be made in lots of different ways, varying in tastes, consistencies, and seasonings. It tastes delicious with rice or with any form of bread.
- Split pigeon peas (Toor / Arhar Dal) - 1 cup
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Green chilies - 2-3 vertically slit
- Curry leaves - 5-6
- Ginger - 1 & 1/2 tsp grated
- Garlic cloves - 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Salt - To taste
- Tomato - 1 chopped
- Cilantro/Coriander - small bunch finely chopped
- Oil - 4 tsp
- Wash 1 cup toor dal (arhar dal) and add 2 cups water to it. Cook in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles. After 3 whistles, keep the gas on low flame for 5 minutes. Then turn off the gas.
- Let the cooker cool before removing the dal.
- In a pan, heat oil, and add mustard seeds. Once they crackle, add cumin seeds, asfoetida (hing), turmeric powder, green chilies, curry leaves, grated ginger, and chopped garlic cloves.
- Stir fry on medium flame, till the garlic becomes golden brown.
- Add the cooked dal and water as needed to get the desired consistency.
- Add salt to taste, and the tomato cut into small pieces.
- Bring to boil on a low to medium flame stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander and serve hot with roti or rice.