Dalia Recipe (Cracked wheat upma)
Dalia or this special upma is made with cracked wheat (with skin), that is full of nutrition and fiber. This makes dalia a very nutritious and a great choice for breakfast or for a small hunger meal. Add any vegetables of your choice and enjoy!
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - Less than 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2-1 tsp
- Green chili - 1 vertically split
- Curry leaves - 4-5
- Onion - 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Carrots - 2 tbsp cut into long pieces
- Green Peas - 2 tbsp
- Green pepper - 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Red pepper finely chopped - 2 tbsp
- Cracked wheat (Dalia) - 1/2 cup
- Salt - To taste
- Lime / lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Cilantro/Coriander - a small bunch finely chopped
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil, and add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds.
- After they crackle, add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, less than 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing), 1/2-1 tsp turmeric powder, and 1 green chili vertically split. Add 4-5 curry leaves and 2 tbsp finely chopped onion.
- Stir fry for a minute and add 1 & 3/4 cup water.
- Add 2 tbsp carrots cut into long pieces, 2 tbsp green peas, 2 tbsp green pepper finely chopped, and 2 tbsp red pepper finely chopped.
- Add 1/2 cup dalia or cracked wheat.
- Mix and add salt to taste, 1/2 tsp lemon juice and 1/2 tsp sugar. Bring to boil.
- Let it keep boiling till the water reaches the same level as the wheat grains. Now reduce heat and cover to cook till all the water is used up, stirring occasionally to check.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.