Green Pea Poha Recipe
Poha is an all time favorite snack and breakfast food of Maharashtra. Adding green peas to it makes it healthy and yummier!
- Medium thick poha (flattened rice flakes) - 2 cups
- Green Peas - 1/4 cup of
- Oil - 4 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder (haldi) - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 5-6
- Green chilies - 4 Vertically slit
- Potato - 1
- Finely chopped onion - 1
- Salt - To taste
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Lime / lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Coconut (optional) - Freshly grated for garnishing
- Cilantro/Coriander - a small bunch finely chopped
- Thin sev (gram flour fritters) - For garnishing
- Wash 2 cups medium thick poha (flattened rice flakes) in a colander. Keep aside to drain excess water, for 10 minutes.
- Add some water to 1/4 cup of green peas and cook in a microwave for 3 minutes.
- Heat 4 tsp oil in a pan and add 1 tsp mustard seeds. Wait till they crackle and then add 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing), 1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi), 5-6 curry leaves, 4 vertically slit green chilies, and 1 potato chopped in the way shown below.
- Stir fry for a minute and then cover to cook on a medim flame till the potatoes are soft.
- Add 1 finely chopped onion and stir fry till the onion become translucent.
- Add the soaked poha and mix well . Reduce the heat to low.
- Add the cooked green peas, salt to taste, 2 tsp sugar, and 2 tsp lemon juice.
- Sprinkle 2 handfuls of water all over the poha. Mix and cover to cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes, turning once or twice in between before turning of the gas.
- Garnish with freshly grated coconut (optional), finely chopped coriander/cilantro and fine sev (gram flour fritters). Serve hot.