Matar Paratha Recipe (Green Pea Paratha)
Green peas have their own nutritious value. Adding them to parathas with some mild spices make them tasty and more enjoyable. Enjoy these green pea parathas for breakfast or for a quick meal. You can always prepare the stuffing in advance.
- For Dough
- Wheat Flour - 1 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 1/2 tsp
- For Filling
- Green Peas - 2 cups
- Garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Green chili paste or red chili powder - As per liking
- Salt - To taste
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
Dough: Mix 1 cup wheat flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp oil, and use water to knead into a soft dough, same as the Chapati dough.
- Coarsely grind 2 cups of green peas in a grinder.
- Add 2 tsp garlic paste, green chili paste or red chili powder as per liking, and salt to taste.
- Slightly crush 1 tsp fennel seeds in a grinder and add to the peas.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add the peas.
- Roast for 5-7 minutes on a low flame, stirring occasionally to avoid burning at the bottom. If you are using frozen peas you may have to roast for some more time as frozen peas tend to become more soggy.
- Roast till it most of the moisture is gone. You should be able to make a firm ball with this filling. Then turn off the gas.
- Take 2" dough ball and roll it slightly to make a 5" circle.
- Place 3 tbsp filling on it. Bring together on all sides towards the center and firmly close at the top.
- Press gently with hands and roll into a 1/2-3/4 cm thick circle.
- Cook on a heated griddle till both sides are golden brown. Spread 1/4 tsp oil on both sides when cooking.
- Serve hot with butter, yogurt and any pickle.