Masoor Dal Recipe
This finger licking preparation of masoor dal or pink lentils is bound to be a hit in any meal. Pink lentils are rich in proteins and the tomato flavor gives this recipe a special, mouth watering taste.
- Pink lentil (Masoor dal) - 1 cup
- Tomatoes - 2 chopped
- Oil - 4 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - a pinchTur
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Green chilies - 3
- Curry leaves - 4-5
- Garlic - 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Onion - 1 small
- Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander / Cilantro leaves - For garnishing
- Wash 1 cup masoor dal (pink lentil) and add 2 cups water to it.
- Add the cut tomatoes as well.
- Pressure cook for one whistle and then reduce heat. Let cook on low flame for 5 minutes before tuning off the heat. Remove the cooked dal from the cooker after the pressure is released.
- Heat 4 tsp oil in a pan and add 1 tsp cumin seeds, a pinch of asafoetida (hing), 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 4-5 curry leaves, 3 vertically slit green chilies, 1 small onion finely chopped, 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic, and 1/4 tsp garam masala.
- Stir fry till the garlic and the onion become light pinkish.
- Add the cooked dal.
- Add 1 cup or more water to get the desired consistency. Add salt and mix well.
- Bring to boil on a low flame, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with roti/chapati. or rice.