Raita is a very soothing recipe that serves as an excellent accompaniment to all spicy foods, like chana masala, vegetable biryani, and so on. Plus it is also a great accompaniment with chapati or any kind of rice, especially during hot summer days. Here I have added instructions and pictures for 'Cucumber Raita', but you can replace the cucumber with some other vegetables like grated carrots, chopped bottle gourd (or 'lauki'), chopped pumpkin, and so on, or add more than one vegetable at a time. The recipe is the same.
- Cucumber (or any other vegetable) - 1/2 cup, chopped into small pieces.
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Green chilies - 2, cut into small pieces.
- Plain yogurt (dahi) - 1/4 cup
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves - For garnishing
- Salt - To taste
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds.
- When they sizzle, add asafoetida, green chilies, and cucumber (or any other vegetable like grated carrots, bottle gourd, etc) pieces.
- Stir fry for 2-3 minutes, till the cucumber pieces are soft.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool down.
- Beat the yogurt nicely and add little water (1-2 tsp), salt and sugar to it. Mix well.
- Add the stir fried cucumber and mix everything nicely.
- Garnish with some finely chopped coriander leaves and serve as an accompaniment to chapati or any kind of pulao or biryani.