Green Pulao Recipe
Green Pulao is a very healthy and attractive looking pulao or rice that serves as a light and a quick meal. Enjoy this green pulao with any pickle and/or with any kind of soup.
- Rice - 1 cup
- Onion - 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Garlic - 3 big cloves
- Ginger - 1/2
- Green chilies - 3 medium or to taste
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves - 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon stick - 1
- Cardamom seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 5-6
- Spinach leaves - 1 & 1/2 cup tightly packed
- Potato - 1 small cut in to small cubes
- Any other vegetables of choice like carrots, green beans, cauliflower, corn, etc. - 3/4 th cup in all
- Oil or ghee - 2 tbsp
- Salt - To taste
- Wash the rice a couple of times and drain away the water.
- Wash the spinach leaves thoroughly and transfer to a grinder jar.
- Add 1/2 cup water and grind to get smooth spinach juice, which will be about 1 cup. Keep this juice aside for some time.
- Make a coarse paste with ginger, garlic, green chilies, and coriander leaves by grinding them together and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pot, and add chopped onion. Stir fry till it becomes translucent.
- Add the ginger-garlic-green chili paste (from step 4) and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the curry leaves, cinnamon stick, and cardamom seeds and stir fry again for a minute.
- Add the potato cubes, all the vegetables of your choice, and the washed rice. Mix together.
- Add all the spinach juice (from step 3), and 1 & 1/2 cups of water.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Allow to boil, and continue boiling till the water reaches the level of the rice grains.
- Now reduce the heat to low and cover to cook till all the water gets used up.
- Turn off the heat and serve hot Green Pulao with any pickle and/or soup.