Tori Or Ridge Gourd Ki Sabzi Recipe
Tori or Ridge Gourd is a very healthy vegetable which is low in cholesterol and has a high dietary fiber. The recipe for Tori ki sabzi that I share here is a simple preparation that uses split chick peas or chana dal and is made in Maharashtrian style with the traditional Maharashtrian kala/goda masala that is found in every Maharashtrian home. Also, whenever this sabzi is made the strings of the skin of 'tori' are always kept for drying and then later used for making a spicy chutney. Please use this link - Ridge gourd string chutney- for the recipe of this delicious chutney.
- Tori or ridge gourd - 2 medium sized
- Split chick peas (Chana Dal) - 2 tbsp
- Salt - To taste
- Jaggery (gud) - 2 tsp
- Oil - 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder - To taste
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - A pinch
- Kala / Goda masala - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Soak the chana dal in water for 1/2 hour.
- Remove most of the ridges and peels of the gourd with a grater. You may not discard them as these can be dried and later used for making a delicious dry chutney, known as 'dodkyachya shiranchi chutney', in Marathi.
- Cut the gourd vertically in half first, remove any hard and big seeds, and then cut into cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan, and add mustard seeds.
- After they crackle, add asafoetida, and turmeric powder.
- Now add chana dal (without the water used for soaking) and the gourd pieces.
- Mix and add salt, red chili powder, kala masala, and jaggery.
- Cover and cook on a low - medium heat till the gourd pieces are soft.
- Turn off the heat and serve with any kind of Indian bread.