Tori Ki Sabzi Recipe (Dodkyachi bhaji)
Tori or Ridge Gourd is a very healthy vegetable which is low in cholesterol and has a high dietary fiber. The recipe for Tori ki sabzi that I share here is a simple preparation that uses split chick peas or chana dal and is made in Maharashtrian style with the traditional Maharashtrian kala/goda masala that is found in every Maharashtrian home. Also, whenever this sabzi is made the strings of the skin of 'tori' are always kept for drying and then later used for making a spicy chutney. Please use this link - Ridge gourd string chutney- for the recipe of this delicious chutney.
- Tori or ridge gourd - 1 medium sized
- Split chick peas (Chana Dal) - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - A pinch
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Red chili powder - To taste
- Kala / Goda masala - 1/2 tsp
- Jaggery (gud) - 2 tsp
- Soak the chana dal in water for 1/2 hour.
- Remove most of the ridges of the gourd with a grater. Do not completely peel off but only remove the protruding hard ridges. (Also you may not discard them as these can be dried and later used for making a delicious dry chutney, known as 'dodkyachya shiranchi chutney', in Marathi.
- Cut the gourd vertically in half first, and then into big pieces of the size (1 - 2") that you like.
- Heat oil in a pan, and add mustard seeds.
- After they crackle, add asafoetida, and turmeric powder.
- Now add chana dal (without the water used for soaking) and the gourd pieces.
- Mix and add little water (about 1 tbsp).
- Add salt, red chili powder, kala masala, and jaggery.
- Cover and cook on a low - medium heat till the gourd pieces are soft.
- Turn off the heat and serve with any kind of Indian bread.