Gavasani Recipe (Rice and Wheat Roti)
Gavasani is a special kind of bread made with a stuffing of rice flour. This roti is very soft and tastes delicious when served hot with any kind of curry or dry sabzi. 'Gavasani' in Marathi means cover. This recipe has been named so as the rice flour filling can itself be made into a special kind of bread called 'rice flour bhakri'. But instead the rice flour has an outer cover of the wheat flour, and so this recipe has been named 'Gavasani'.
- For the cover
- Wheat flour (Ata) - 1/2 cup + more for dusting
- Oil - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- For the filling
- Rice flour - 3/4 cup
- Oil - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or to taste
For the cover :
- Add salt and oil to the wheat flour and use water to knead into a soft dough just like the chapati dough.
- Keep aside for 10 -15 minutes.
For the filling :
- Heat 3/4 cup water in a pan and add salt and oil to it.
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Slowly add the rice flour while simultaneously mixing it.
- When all the rice flour and water have mixed, cover to cook for 5-7 minutes, turning once or twice in between. Then turn off the heat.
- Allow to cool enough so that you can knead it with your hands.
- Apple little oil to your palms and knead into a soft dough of the filling.
- Make equal parts of the dough for the cover.
- Make an equal number of parts for the filling too. The size of each part of the filling will be about double the size of each part of the cover.
- Take one part of the cover and shape it into a round by rolling between your palms, and then press to flatten.
- Place one part of the filling on it and bring it up on all sides to enclose the filling.
- Close the opening at the top and press to flatten.
- Dust with some wheat flour and roll into a circle about 2 mm thick.
- Transfer to a hot griddle and roast on both sides till you get light brown spots on both sides.
- Serve hot with any curry or dry sabzi.
Very unique recipe Uma! Love your blog. I am a friend of Indu Rajesh and she always mentions about your blog and I finally got to check it out. You have a beautiful blog and yummy authentic recipes.
Hello Archana and Thanks for all the words of appreciation!