Bread Roll Recipe
Bread rolls make a very quick and awesome snack to enjoy at tea-time. They are quite filling and can be enjoyed as a meal accompaniment too. The bread used for this recipe can be of any kind - wheat bread, normal bread made with all purpose flour, or multigrain bread. The filling can also be varied depending on personal liking. Here I have added only salt and red chili powder. You can also try adding different combinations of cumin powder, some ginger-garlic paste, or some garam masala. Serve delicious bread rolls with Sambhar, or with green chutney or tamarind chutney. Hope you enjoy making this unique recipe at home!
- Bread slices - About 12
- Boiled potatoes - 6 medium big potatoes, peeled and mashed
- Red chili powder - To taste
- Salt - To taste
- Oil - For deep frying
- Add salt, and red chili powder to the mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Make 12 equal parts of this filling.
- Roll each part into an oval and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- In a plate, pour some water to cover the bottom.
- Take a slice of bread and dip it in water to wet one surface.
- Flip the bread to the other side and wet the other surface too. (Keep the water level in the plate to a minimum, just enough to wet the surfaces.)
- Once both its surfaces are wet, lift the bread slice on to your palm and squeeze it flat between your palms till most of the water is removed from it. The rectangle shape of the bread should stay intact.
- Now keep one oval part of the filling (from step 3) in the middle of the wet bread slice.
- Bring up the bread slice from both the sides, overlap one edge over the other, and press to cover the filling.
- Press again between your palms to close the openings at the top and bottom and to tightly wrap the filling completely with bread.
- Keep the roll on a paper towel while you prepare the other rolls similarly. Keep adding more water to the plate, as needed.
- Now deep fry all the rolls in batches, to a golden brown color.
- Drain excess oil and remove on a paper towel.
- Serve hot bread rolls with Sambhar, ketchup, green chutney, or tamarind chutney.