Tomato Saar Recipe
Tomato saar is a delicious Maharashtrian style tomato soup. It is a very simple recipe, quick to make, and serves as a wonderful meal accompaniment, especially during winter.
- Tomatoes - 4 and 1/2 cups chopped
- Jaggery (gud) - 6 tbsp
- Oil - 1 and 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - 1/8 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/8 tsp
- Curry leaves - 7-8
- Salt - To taste
- Transfer the chopped tomatoes to a microwave safe bowl and add little (about 1/4-1/2 cup) water.
- Cook for about 10 minutes till the tomatoes are soft.
- Transfer to a grinder jar and grind.
- If some seeds and tomato peels are still left unground, then strain through a strainer to remove the seeds, but if the tomatoes are nicely blended and no seeds are visible, skip the straining part and just keep the tomato juice aside for some time.
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Add cumin seeds.
- After they crackle, add asafoetida, turmeric powder, fenugreek seeds, and curry leaves.
- Add the tomato juice from step 4.
- Add more water (about 1 cup for the given quantity of the tomatoes used).
- Add salt to taste, and all the jaggery.
- Stir and bring to boil.
- Serve hot tomato saar to enjoy!