Lemon rice is a quick and tasty rice recipe that can be made with fresh cooked rice or left over rice.
- Fresh or left over rice - 2 cups
- Chana dal (split chick peas) - 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Green Chilies - 2
- Dry red chilies - 2
- Curry Leaves - 5-6
- Urad Dal (black lentils) - 1 tsp
- Peanuts - 1 tbsp
- Salt - To taste
- Lemon juice - 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Coriander/cilantro - Finely chopped for garnishing
- Use 2 cups left over rice or fresh cooked rice. But the rice has to be dry and fluffy not soft.
- Soak 1 tsp chana dal (split chick peas) in some hot water for 20 minutes.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing), 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 2 green chilies vertically cut, 2 dry red chilies, 5-6 curry leaves, 1 tsp urad dal (split black lentils), and 1 tbsp peanuts. Stir fry till the dal and the peanuts become brownish pink.
- Now add the soaked chana dal and fry for a few seconds. Then add the cooked rice.
- Add salt to taste, and 1 & 1/2 tsp lemon juice. Mix well, stir fry for a minute and then turn off the gas.
- Garnish with some coriander and serve warm.