Pohe is a simple snack or breakfast food that can be made with many different variations. You can add onion, potatoes or green peas, or all to make this yummy snack. Try sprinkling some fine sev (gram flour friiters) as a garnishing, to serve.
- Medium thick flattened rice flakes - 2 cups
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 5-6
- Green chilies - 2-3 vertically slit
- Potato - 1 peeled and sliced
- Onion - 1 finely chopped
- Green Peas - 1/4 cup
- Salt - To taste
- Sugar - 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Lime / lemon juice - 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves - For garnishing
- Wash 2 cups pohe in a colander, in running water and then put aside to drain excess water for 10 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add 1 tsp mustard seeds. When they crackle add 1/4 tsp asafoetida or hing and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. Add 5-6 curry leaves, 2-3 vertically slit green chilies, and sliced potatoes.
- Stir fry till the potatoes start turning brownish and then cover to cook for 2 minutes till they become soft.
- Add finely chopped onion and stir fry till it becomes translucent.
- Add the soaked pohe and mix well. Add the green peas, salt to taste, 1 & 1/2 tsp sugar, and 1 & 1/2 tsp lime/lemon juice.
- Sprinkle 2 scoops of water on the pohe. Mix well. Cover and let cook on low flame for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice in between.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and some fine sev (optional).
- Serve hot.